Friday, February 9, 2007

Distracters

hI compose multiple choice questions for a living. If anyone questions my masochism that I mentioned in the post below, be not deluded. I compose MULTIPLE friggin' CHOICE questions for a living. I bring this up because, in assessment terminology, the correct option to a multiple choice question is called a "key." All the wrong options are called "distracters." Because I my work entails composing multiple choice questions day in and day out, I thought I should mention the things that distract ME from my desire to a)punch walls, b)punch my colleagues, c)punch my computer monitor, and/or d) punch myself for taking the job in the first place. (For the record, all 4 options above are keyable.) So here are the two newest:


Thank you to Bob for this. I've also included a permanent link to this delightful bit of merriment in the right hand margin over there ---------->. Take note!

And because I'm still sorting through my enthrallment with the Killing the Buddha book, I thought I'd include a link to a fascinating article on the cult of virginity that was published in Rolling Stone, written by one of the co-editors of the aforementioned book, Jeff Sharlet. I find this article fascinating because, somehow, Sharlet managed to make the cause and the argument for maintaining chastity compelling... even to ME! Crazy, eh? I mean, there's a fair amount of the religiosity therein that makes me uber-nervous, but the people he interviewed seem sane, intelligent and have re-envisioned the notion of "the counter-culture." Though, I must say, I was amused to note how all the virginal interviewees seemed mightily obsessed with sex. And friends, I dare you one and all to start wearing one of those "masturband" numbers. Just 'cuz I'm nosy.

No comments: