Sunday, April 1, 2007

April is National Poetry Month (Period)

During my three years of blissfully part-time employment at the UofA Poetry Center, today would mark the annual changing of the banner on the front of our (now bulldozed) little stucco house. Or really, at some point in early April, I'd drive to work and notice, hey! the Poetry Month banner is up! But apparently, there had been some controversy about this very banner. From what I understand, the damn thing had to go back and forth from the printer several times because "April is National Poetry Month." is a complete sentence... and some felt the rules for bannerness negated the need for correct punctuation while others felt correct syntax was paramount. The punctuation sticklers won out. And now, during this month, every time I have to datestamp something, I hear "April is National Poetry Month (period)" in my head.

This is all just to say, Happy Month to all those who are poetically inclined. Bless you all. And let the media spotlight shine a little brighter on your deserving work during this very special time of year.

Isn't it cool how the vocabulary of Christmas almost, very nearly, applies?

No comments: