Monday, October 12, 2009

The dormant month

For the first time in the history of this blog, I didn't write anything for the entire month of September. Perhaps you've noticed? Writing a post just to say that, yes, I too have noticed that nothing much has been happening whenever I open up an empty post window feels sort of dramatic and self-aggrandizing in itself, but a few of you have commented-- and I thank you for doing so. It's lovely, really, to feel as though what I do in this space is, in some way, miss-able.

The truth is that writing that abortion post seems to have taken a lot out of me-- intellectually, emotionally, and also in terms of my writerly self esteem. I didn't intend for that to be the case. I was so sure the whole event would come and go, rolling off my back as though I'd grown duck feathers. Friends who've been through similar experiences shook their heads and warned me when I swore it was going to be no big deal for me, but, you know, it was. It is. It is in ways both difficult and astoundingly awesome. I have new friends now. I have new readers now. I have new perspective now. But I also have new anxieties now. This, of course, is how it is.

Three months on down the road, I remain nothing but steadfast in my conviction that writing about my experience was the right thing to do, but -- if nowhere but in my own mind -- it seems to have raised the stakes of this blog. It may well be the most "important"-- whatever that means -- thing I've written to date, and it's certainly the most charged (emotionally, politically) thing I've written here. And it made me want to write better, more seriously, less glibly and with more of a real aim-- at what? I'm not yet sure.

Also, I've been busy. The offline conversations that post generated were plentiful. Some of have dwindled and, as I mentioned, some have kindled new and important friendships. I didn't know the sort of people it would bring into my life, the sort of people who'd respond to it in some way or another, the sort of people who'd take interest in me as a person because of the way I chose to handle a problem that isn't really so uncommon. But now that they're here and talking to me and challenging me and encouraging me, I can't really help but feel like something I wrote -- something I made up out of my own little brain -- has made my own world a little bit bigger. That's kind of amazing, right? And no one is more surprised, humbled and excited about that than I.

So, let's call this quiet period my Epoch of Re-assessment. I'm thinking about the possibility of going to school again. I'm thinking about the sort of platform I want this blog to be -- the sort of ideas I need to process. How a blog is good for processing but not necessarily all that great for instilling rigor -- insular and self-congratulatory as it can be. And I'm thinking about how a relationship between added rigor and my usual spin cycle of ideas might look -- the thoughts I express here and the sort of persona I'll need to cultivate if I want to make a go at... something more... serious?

I'm intimidated, frankly. Well-meaning folks in my most bare-bones support system have been very encouraging, indeed. With a handful of exceptions (exceptions that made me doubt my efficaciousness as a practitioner of written communication, but did not make me doubt the rightness of my choices, I might point out), I received remarkably kind feed-back on that abortion post. But somehow all the well-wishing has me feeling as though I have even more at stake every time I sit down to pound out something -- anything -- witty, wise, winsome or resolutely un-ambitious -- whatever. Yep. Pretty classic. I'm psyching myself out and I know it. I did the same thing when I was working on my manuscript in grad school. Once my classmates and professors began to respond positively to my work, I found I had to lock myself in my office for an entire semester just to keep their encouragement from staunching the flow, just to squeeze those few little coagulated, sticky poems from the turnip that is me. For me, living up to the accomplishments of which I'm sorta kinda proud is always harder than overcoming failures. And that's where I am now--scared it's all downhill from here. And, from here, I know, I've barely gotten started.

So, I'd ask the friends who've been asking after my writing to be patient with me, but that's not really the point. I love that they care whether I write and notice when I don't, for sure, but the standards I'm worried about living up to are mine. So, really, I'm better served trying to be patient with myself and to let the writing come when it comes and not to become exasperated when it doesn't. I am trying not to assign so much significance (to piddly ol' blog posts) that I can't even write fluffier fare -- because it seems silly to take this blog so seriously. But I am having trouble writing fluffier fare. And less fluffy things too.

Which isn't to say things aren't percolating. It's just a slow drip. And that's okay. This time around, moving from the dormant state into a thaw is not something I want to rush.

Mixing metaphors, however? I'm totally fine with that.

19 comments:

twwine said...

Nice to hear from you again. Let the percolating continue!

brownrabbit said...

Thanks, Mommels!Love!

Jen said...

I'm going to say something you already know: writers are always writing, in their heads. That never ceases. And I'm gonna give you an old platitude, but only because I know from experience it's true: Time is the only thing that will allow you to get past substantive events. Let those thoughts percolate and ruminate; give yourself time.

brownrabbit said...

Thank you, thank you-- working on it!

Sommer said...

you are my best fan. thank you marjorie. I have only the tawdriest adoration for you too. xx.

Anonymous said...

Marjorie -- did you ever read much Annie Dillard?

brownrabbit said...

In high school, yeah, I read a bunch of it. Read An American Childhood and got on a kick. Pilgrim at Tinker Creek was the fave, I think.

James Q. Polk said...

Just so you know ... your verbose Pynchon-esque essays, and your "I just took a crap!" real-life blogs, weren't missed ... by folks who don't think the center of the world is located in or near Dupont Circle, anyway.

brownrabbit said...

Joe? Is it you? So GLAD you popped up to say such sweet, thoughtful things to me. God! If only such things were capable of penetrating my cold, cold slutty heart.

In any case, hope you are well. And that, like, your dick didn't contract some festering-lesion-bearing disease. Oh, huh. Look at that. I kinda DO wish that.

Anonymous said...

These 3 snippets from your blog relate to what I want to attempt to say here:

1. I can't really help but feel like something I wrote -- something I made up out of my own little brain -- has made my own world a little bit bigger.

2. But somehow all the well-wishing has me feeling as though I have even more at stake every time I sit down to pound out something.

3. For me, living up to the accomplishments of which I'm sorta kinda proud is always harder than overcoming failures.
---------------
The Annie Dillard question was the end result of the following chain of thoughts -- 1. Your blog was powerful because it dealt with a very powerful experience. You had an intimate experience with the basic forces of life, something that doesn't happen in quite that way every day. If you write simply and truly about such an experience, it carries weight, but the weight is inherent in the experience. The writing merely opens a window onto that experience. The craft of writing does not generate the impact of such a piece (of course, bad writing could get in the way, but I think you see what I'm getting at here).
2. You can't write about something so weighty every day (Thank God!) because such experiences are not daily experiences.
3. Ergo, it might be unrealistic to establish writing of such impact as your new "minimum standard". There is an art to writing about some of the smaller things of life. This is where I thought about Annie Dillard, and Pilgrim at Tinker's Creek. Though I must admit, the most memorable of her pieces dealt with seeing a total eclipse of the sun, not an everyday walk in the meadow.

If I mis-read you, or over-simplify in attempting to be brief, just let me know. Or, if this makes sense, likewise.

brownrabbit said...

Well... I think you're missing one little thing. It's not the event itself that really made that big a difference in my life. It was, pointedly, specifically, the writing about the event that did it. It made me feel as though I was contributing to a larger conversation of which I had not yet been part. It started other conversations and brought a lot of awesome new levels of engagement into my life. Had I not written about my abortion, none of that would have happened. Therefore, what I'm after is continuing conversations on that sort of level, rather than dwelling in the swirling, insular eddies of my own mind all that time. And for that, I need to write better. Not necessarily more momentously, but, indeed, more rigorously. I don't need to take on a massive topic every time -- it's not about the topic -- for me to feel like I wish this tiny speck in the internet universe was more ambitious.

Also, I beg to differ about my abortion not being an everyday occurrence. No, it's not everyday for each individual, but a big part of my point in writing all that was that it IS such a common event in the lives of so many women that it really shouldn't bear the stigma that is does. My writing was, in many ways, an effort to exorcise a little of the "bigness"--as it exists in the common discourse--of the event itself. So, for you to say that my post was "powerful because it dealt with a very powerful experience," well, in all honesty, that makes me feel a little like a failed in my effort to cut it down to size.

And that's not to say that I'm not encountering some psychological after-effects (of course, my instinct is to minimize those as well--for my own (possibly dubious) reasons) from all of it. I am, it seems, a little more thoughtful about the sorts of men I allow into my life. I am, it seems, simmering with a sort of emotionality I didn't necessarily anticipate. But my desire to NOT attribute those subtle shifts in my thought processes and/or behavior to the abortion itself (but rather, to the series of decisions that got me importunely pregnant in the first place) is strong. On some level, it IS the abortion and on another, it, really and truly, is not. Put another way, I have no intention of letting the abortion rule me or the decisions I make heretofore--I can't let it.

But my point in saying all this remains that the act of writing about the event was far more powerful than the event itself. So, to say that it was my subject matter that made the post noteworthy, well, about all I can say is that that's certainly not what it meant for/to me. It was, indeed, the holding of myself to higher standards (of thoughtfulness, of editorial precision), in an of itself, for the duration of the writing of that post.

Does that clarify a little? I hope?

Anonymous said...

Does that clarify a little? I hope?
Indeed it does. And I appreciate the clarification. One more question: Is it possible that the pregnancy was more potent than the abortion? Thanks.

brownrabbit said...

Oh, the pregnancy sucked, I guess. It made me wonder if it's what unhealthy people feel like all the time--energy-less, queasy, anxious, total bottoming out of my very dependable sex drive. It felt like I was living in a much lower-functioning body than my own. I don't suppose I care much to revisit that set of sensations any time soon. More potent? Do you mean emotionally? Meh, I dunno. I didn't like it very much, but who's to say how much of that was just how desperately I wanted that unfortunate dude's potential spawn out of me?

So, um, yeah, apparently, I have no good answer to that question.

Anonymous said...

Well, that pretty well answers the question, so Thanks again. I think this has been a good post. So, happy percolating!

brownrabbit said...

Um, I'm not sure I said what you think I said as I AM pretty sure I did NOT answer the question. My point was that, yeah, I was no fan of being pregnant but, all things considered, it was a fairly mundane event--or span of events, or whatever. It really was the focus and concentration I drummed up in writing about it that made it significant to me--and made me think about what I'm doing with the stuff I write. I'm coming back to that idea again and again: that I want to write better and think harder-- but, in all likelihood, I would have come to this place without the particular catalyst that I've had--just might have taken a few months longer. So, maybe I HAVE answered your question now. To make this post about the pregnancy and the abortion, rather than about the writing strikes me as inordinately reductive. Because it really isn't about that. Future dating decisions? Well, that's a different story. My writerly considerations? No. It's just not.

Anonymous said...

The unexamined experience is not worth having, and the writing, discussing, examining in different lights, etc, provides the value from the raw material of the experience. The process of writing extracts the gold from the dross. Makes sense.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog. Hope you're okay.


Devoted Reader

Anonymous said...

My dear, you are a sensitive soul.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmmmm. 1 blog post in 4 months.