Saturday, August 14, 2010

like a phoenix

Welcome to my new blog! 

If you followed my old blog, which shall remain nameless in order to reduce google-ability, I'm so pleased you found me!  If we haven't met before, hi!  Please note that all the posts here that are older than this one are the archives from a blog I killed so as to be less, er, obvious about who I am. Or more specifically, less searchable under my real name.

OK, so.

I don't have any particular grand plans for this space. It may be very similar to the old blog, but it may be a little or a lot different. I'm fickle. I often have trouble writing at all. I don't know what'll come of it. But I do hope, you know, something does, indeed, come.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy my new menstrual-lookin' backdrop. (It seemed fitting.)

6 comments:

ceolaf said...

ick.

ceolaf said...

Tell us about what a nom de plum might mean to you.

Are you really going to go by 'M'? You alluding any historical 'M's? Is it a Mariah Carey reference? Maddy?

M said...

M is for "menstrual!"

OK, not really.

M is my initial. I don't intend to disguise myself completely. People who know me still know this is me. It's just that a search for my full legal name won't land you here.

It's probably more like O than it is like Mariah Carey.

Anonymous said...

What about M for, ummm...M like on all of the James Bond movies? She was smart, witty... a tight-bottomed Brit.

M said...

OK, just to clarify--

The M is not intended to be a nom de plume. It still stands for what it always stood for, which is my name. I'm still writing here as me. Were I ever to do anything more formal with anything I publish in this forum, I would put my full, real name on it.

I know a writer who lost a book deal and other kinds of writing gigs because s/he wouldn't fess up to his/her real identity. And while I think that's a stupid parameter for publishers to put on a writer (why must their non-writing-related resume and/or life inform their identities as writers?), I know it happens. Mostly, that sort of requirement seems rather prurient on the part of the publisher's marketing machine to me, but it DOES happen. I don't want to get caught in a situation like that.

The whole point of this was not to set up a nom de plume. The point was to make my legal name less searchable. And I want to do that primarily because, right now and for the foreseeable future, I will NOT, in fact, be doing anything more formal with stuff written here. And so I need to give the people associated with whatever my income source will be (until the time comes when I CAN make some sort of bigger project with these thoughts) a harder time finding my blog. That's all.

And heaven knows the chances of my having an opportunity to do anything with stuff I write here remains infinitesimally small.

Likely, there are a bajillion people on the internet who go by "M." I'm just one of them now. But this writing is still mine and belongs to M_____.

Unknown said...

Hello "M"!