Tuesday, November 7, 2006

For the record

Over two weeks ago, I faxed a request for an absentee ballot to the office of the voting commissioner in the state of Tennessee. As I haven't had time since moving here to register in Virginia, and I was still registered in Tennessee, my intention was to cast my liberal vote for Harold Ford (the homophobe Democrat from my home state), as opposed to casting it for Jim Webb (the sexist "former" Republican from my new state of residence). Anyway, the deadline for ballot requests was October 31st. I was well in advance of this deadline. I even called in and received confirmation that my faxed request had indeed been recieved. Did I ever actually receive my absentee ballot? Oh, c'mon, folks. You saw this coming.

Nope. My mailbox has seen hide nor hair if the elusive absentee ballot.

And so, for reasons I'm trying not to assume are conspiratorial, it appears my voice (and my button-pushing finger) will not be heard ringing endorsements for either of the dubiously liberal candidates in any polling location. But if anyone out there reading is a registered voter, please! Don't forget how today works. It's just the best chance we've got to begin the slow mechanism that'll turn the mighty ship. And turn it must.

4 comments:

jb said...

amen

brownrabbit said...

I just went and dug through the pile of fax confirmation reports here at work. I have friggin' documentation that my fax went through! I wonder if I could sue for voter fraud? or voting commission fraud? I'm just so furious.

Jen said...

we sure could use your ballot: for the record, that sleazeball repub Corker won: also, people against gay marriage was 80% to 20%. I can't fucking believe it. I am surrounded by really close minded people!

brownrabbit said...

Trust me-- I was getting text messages from folks in different time zones until 2 AM-- I'm well aware of all the proceedings. As of this moment, it appears that Montana has gone out way... and no matter what, Virginia will be a recount. However, it looks like Webb's gonna beat Macaca in that one too. Still, moment of silence for Ford's loss, please.