Saturday, February 23, 2008

Getting to know your favorite neighborhood blogger

OK, confession: I love personality tests. They're way fun. I like them for the same reasons I dabble in astrology. It's a fun game-- I'm often surprised in the ways in which I find myself pegged and yet I'm able to maintain enough distance from them to understand that I am defined neither by my Myers-Briggs type, nor the alignment of the cosmos at the moment at which I wriggled free of my mother's body.


And on a similar note, I love those email questionnaires that you send to your friends full of random questions, in hopes that they'll email you back with all the intimate details of their lives. For the most part, I could give a crap about the mundanities of a lot of my friends' lives-- the favorite color, where they were born, what they wanted to be when they were kids-- that kind of stuff. But the more random and/or intimate questions I find fascinating. So, this morning, I found one such questionnaire posted on a blog (one of little interest, or I'd have linked it) and I figured I'd fill it out and post it. That way, my reader(s) can get a bite of me and respond in like fashion without me imposing the email request upon them. Though, friends, I hope to see a response on a couple key blogs in the near future.

Here we go:

1. Do you like blue cheese?
BLEU cheese! It's spelled "BLEU cheese"! And yes, I heart it. Even though crumbling it over salads makes my fingers smell gross.

2. Have you ever smoked heroin?

Please. I've never so much as smoked a cigarette. Honest!

3. Do you own a gun?
For what would I possibly need one of those?

4. What flavor do you add to your drink at Sonic?
Ew. Sonic.

5. Do you get nervous before doctors appointments?
The last sonogram I had on my right breast made me fairly queasy. It seems my (benign) lump has grown and now has a diameter of an inch and a half-- and it's brought friends-- and though I KNOW it's harmless, seeing its shadowy vacancy slump across the sonogram monitor, I couldn't help but be quite aware of the contents of my stomach.

6. What do you think of hot dogs?

As a symbol, I enjoy them quite a lot. As an actual food, well, I don't feel so great about ingesting something composed of 80% fat and spare pig parts.

7. Favorite Christmas song?
Sarah MacLachlan's "Song for a Winter Night"-- it's so ethereal and lovely.

8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning?
My one blessed cup of Misha's Rt. 66 Blend dark roast, followed by umpteen cups of green tea.

9. Can you do push ups?

I can do about a million of the girly on-your-knees kind (ha! surprised?) and a handful of the full-out kind. But when you can balance your body weight on the backs of your arms, push-ups seem rather superfluous.

10. What do you order at Starbucks?

In general, I boycott Starbucks and other big-chain coffee shops. The smaller local roasters typically have better coffee and cooler people, plus I like my money to support indie business anyway. But, in a pinch, if Starbuck's is all I've got, I'll get a Venti hot tea of some variety.


11. What’s your favorite piece of jewelry?

About the only two pieces I wear every day are a pair of diamond stud earrings my dad gave me and this terrific DKNY pave rhinestone watch. I heart that watch.

12. Favorite hobby?

This damn blog. Though, I wish it was my full-time occupation, and not so much a hobby.

13. How do you eat your eggs?
Hard-boiled, yolks only. Or in an omelet with sharp cheddar, spinach, mushrooms and the hottest damn salsa I can find.

14. Do you have A.D.D.?

I think I have Attention Surplus Disorder. There's a hamster who lives in my brain. He obsesses over little nodes of mono-focus and, like most hamsters, he's nocturnal. So, no.

15. What’s one trait you hate about yourself?

That I can't feel as independent as I want to be without, ultimately, getting lonely.

16. Your eye color?

Changeable blue. Sometimes grayer, sometimes greener.

17. Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment?

a) I'm so glad I'm not in Columbus. b) I really need to start my yoga practice and not waste so much time in the internet this morning (uh, afternoon). c) I'm dehydrated ...should maybe procrastinate from doing yoga for another half-hour while I drink water.

18. Name 3 things you bought yesterday?
A Venti hot tea at the Columbus airport Starbucks (yes, I felt pinched), 1/30th of a month's worth of living space even though I did not actually set foot in said living space until after midnight, and room service (shitty) coffee b/c housekeeping forgot to refill my (even shittier) coffee supply in my hotel room.

19. Three drinks you regularly drink?

Water, green tea and red wine

20. Current worry right now?

Dread about having to spend a large portion of my summer back in Columbus.

21. Current hate right now?
Columbus.

22. Favorite place to be?
Tie between home and Tucson. In comparison to Columbus, my god! I love DC!

23. How did you bring in the New Years?
After having spent the lion's share of December with either a buzz or a hangover, I boycotted NYE. And I slept and slept and slept. It was a really good choice.

24. Where would you like to go?

Tucson. I need to bake the Columbus out of me!

25. Name three people who will complete this?
Not tagging anyone, but I hope some friendly fellow bloggers will pick up the cue. C'mon, guys...

26. Do you own slippers?
They are a necessity. I'd prefer to go barefoot but my floors are too cold. I have a falling-apart beige pair, an insane pair with big pink and purple polka dots that my mom gave me and the ones I have on at the moment are fur-lined and kinda pinkish colored.

27. What shirt are you wearing?
A turquoise tank top. Sans bra.

28. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets?

No-- they don't retain body heat the way cotton does.

29. Can you whistle?
Yeah, but only weakly and tunelessly. As though I am half-heartedly calling my dog.

30. Favorite color?
That deep pendulous blue the Tucson sky acquires during the hottest months.

31. Would you be a pirate?

Only if you added "wench" to my title.

32. What songs do you sing in the shower?
I can't hold music in my head. I probably talk to myself in the shower, though. Fuck. I must talk to myself a lot. I get busted by fellow drivers all the time when I'm doing it alone in my car.

33. Favorite girl’s name?

Mejelia. This is the name of the plant that sits on my desk in my office. The "j" is pronounced with an "h" sound. Cuz it's Spanish.

34. Favorite boy’s name?
Peanutio P. That would be my favorite nickname for my dog, Noah and he's a boy so that works, right? The "t" in "Peanutio" is pronounced like "sh." Cuz it's a made-up Marjorieism and I said so.

35. What’s in your pocket right now?
They don't put pockets in girls' underwear. And now you know I write blog posts in my underwear.

36. Last thing that made you laugh?
Me calling myself a wench up there in Question #31.

37. Most frequently dialed phone number?
Jon's

38. Worst injury you’ve ever had?
One Thanksgiving morning when I was in high school, I was walking and reading (a thing I have not yet learned better than to do) and I walked straight into the door jamb between my bedroom and my bathroom. Four of my toes went on one side of the door jamb and my pinky toe went on the other side. I broke the SHIT out of that pinky toe. One whole side of my foot turned black and I got out of PE for, like, 6 weeks! Wow, that's lame. Given the walking-while-reading predilection, I guess I'm remarkably non-accident prone...though, my parents do tell a story about me, at about 18 months, putting my palm flat upside a Weber grill. That can't have been pretty, but fortunately, I seem to have blocked it out.


39. Do you love where you live?
I do. I do! Thank Jimmy in heaven that I don't live in Columbus. Oh. Have I mentioned that I hate Columbus?

40. How many televisions do you have?

Three-- though, one of them is in my storage closet.

41. Who is your loudest friend?
I don't think any of my friends are inordinately loud. Does that mean I'm the loud one? I don't really think that's the case... though, I will sometimes say something borderline inappropriate just a little TOO loudly-- but that's only because it's funny when strangers look at you like you're a freak or a pervert.

42. How many dogs do you have?

One-ish. El Senor Peanutio P. (aka Noah) is currently living with his Granmom and Grandad. They love him, I know, but I continue to pine for his little mushface ever so much.

43. What are you thrilled about right now?
And here we find the line at which I draw the privacy curtain over this blog. Just not quite willing to share right now. This is my best Mona Lisa smile.

44. Do you have a crush on someone?
A life without a constant stream of crushes could only be made more miserable if one was both without a crush and living in Columbus. So, yes.

45. What is your favorite book?

Arundhati Roy's The God of Small Things has held the honors for the last few years. Ondaatje's Coming Through Slaughter has come close to dethroning her.

46. What is your favorite candy?
Those hardcore spicy ginger chewy things. Or crystallized tamarind.

47. Favorite Sports Team?

Not applicable. Though, some boys I knew in college had an intramural basketball team called The Yiddish Ponies. As most of them were short Jewish guys, they were the worst in the league. I guess I can root for them because that name STILL makes me laugh. Yay, Yiddish Ponies.

48. What song do you want played at your funeral?

"You Sexy Thing" by Hot Chocolate.

49. What were you doing at 12 AM last night?
Checking my email after having been dolefully sans internet access for several hours. Oh, and opening a box of shoes that had arrived at my doorstep while I was in Columbus. They're hot.

50. What was the first thing you thought of when you woke up?
DC beds are SOOOOOO much better than Columbus beds. And rapidly on the heels of that one came, Oh my effin' god! It's effin' freezing in here! I shoulda left the heat on last night!

No comments: