Wednesday, March 26, 2008

a little further

Just after having spent a couple of days trying to get rein in my thoughts for that last post about prostitution, I found this article. It says everything I was trying to say and then some... and with a keen and empathetic eye toward the consumer, rather than provider, in the age-old transaction. And it says it all much more efficiently than my last couple of groping posts have.

It makes me wonder, though-- just what is it that drives the the whoring industry, then? Money and power or simple human psychological lack (e.g., loneliness, pleasure-seeking, desire for abnegation of control, desire for assumption of control)? Likely, it's some smoothie made from all of it. An acknowledgement of the latter, however, remains rare in a post-feminist age. Because as this article says, "No one's had a decent word to say for men's sexuality since circa 1972."

Surely, there is SOMETHING nice to be said about male sexuality, isn't there? It would be disingenuous for me to assert that I object to being desired, of course.

But then, haven't I already covered how I think that most consternation between the genders amounts to not much more than a failure of empathy?

No comments: