Thursday, August 30, 2007

Further experiments into veganism

I made this up the other night and even the leftovers are so good that I have to share. I mean, even my dad liked it and he's a vociferous and confirmed carnivore.

Marjorie's Lentils Provencal (-ish)

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic
12 oz chopped cremini mushrooms
3/4 cup white wine
1 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp dried basil
2 tsp dried tarragon
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp paprika
salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste
1 lb pre-cooked green lentils
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
2 cups flash-frozen spinach leaves

Heat olive oil in a large pan. Saute garlic until fragrant. Add the chopped mushrooms and mix well to coat with oil. Saute until the mushrooms release their liquid, then add the white wine. Bring to a simmer and add all the herbs, paprika, salt, pepper and lentils. As it begins to dry out, add the stock a little at a time. When the whole thing is heated through, add the frozen spinach leaves and let them melt directly into the lentils, et al. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes and serve. Delicous! I promise!

2 comments:

Joltin' Django said...

Add a ham hock to that and it'd be right tasty!

Tain't a dish on earth that's NOT better with pig parts in it. <-- Kids, remember that!

brownrabbit said...

I can't argue with that. I really can't.


Aw, crap. I agreed with Joe.

But then, trading the joy of having my body function in its current manner for the joy of eating a pig part? It's not even a close contest.

Did you say "taint?"



BTW, I'm trying to make it to the SFA Symposium this year... I'll have to report back. Jealous?