Tuesday, August 21, 2007

when solipsism taps into the cultural moment

Most days, I assume my long, ranting posts about bizarro-feminism-- and whatever other topics I decide deserve rants--have nothing to do with anything except, well, me. But then I stumble upon little articles like this one. It seems other people are using suits as metaphors, too! And then there's this article, which is even more specifically about Hillary Clinton's tits.

And though Hillary's toe-dip into the wonderful world of skin displays isn't new news, I guess that I just find it a little serendipitous that I'm not the only one getting in trouble for what I wear to work. I mean, I would never deny that there is a particular symbology to women's clothing. Nor would I fail to note that the clothing a woman wears speaks volumes about her. Whether or not appearances should matter, they do...and so, why not openly acknowledge that they do?

I particularly like this excerpt from the latter article:"Showing cleavage is a request to be engaged in a particular way. It doesn't necessarily mean that a woman is asking to be objectified, but it does suggest a certain confidence and physical ease. It means that a woman is content being perceived as a sexual person in addition to being seen as someone who is intelligent, authoritative, witty and whatever else might define her personality. It also means that she feels that all those other characteristics are so apparent and undeniable, that they will not be overshadowed." In my mind this last sentence here is of primary importance. This notion that a woman who is comfortably sexual takes it for granted that she'll be accepted as intelligent is so very fundamental.

Anyway, these articles speak for themselves. Please read them. I've already done plenty of yammering on about my clothes and my frustrations about the sexy/smart dichotomy and how I don't think it should be perceived as a dichotomy at all. I'm currently just enjoying the fact that my obsessions--and my blog--reflect their age. As well they should.

No comments: