Monday, April 28, 2008

The 85%-ers


In general, I think chocolate is a fairly mundane ingredient for a dessert. On the rare occasion that I order a dessert from a restaurant, it's hardly ever whatever chocolate thing they have on the menu. I've had chocolate before. I know what it tastes like. If I'm gonna pay $8 for a rammikin of pudding or a slab of cake, I want it to be something I've never tasted before. And chocolate's such a bully! It overpowers pretty much anything else you can put with it. So why bother?

This is not to say, of course, that I don't like chocolate. I keep bars of Valrhona 85% on my desk at work and my homemade chocolate ganache ice cream is famous (if only in familial circles). So, I figure, if you're gonna do chocolate, you should do it simply, cleanly... but intensely.

Hold onto your hair, folks. These little guys don't fuck around.

I give you the 85% Cupcakes:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good freaking lord. hurry up, thursday! cmr.

brownrabbit said...

Yeah, that represents about $20 worth of chocolate. And... uh... the lion's share of a pound of butter. Baking is an extravagant pasttime.