Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Rising Stock

Oh. My. God.

I'm a fairly accomplished internet stalker. If you have an internet presence of any sort, and I want to find you, it's likely that I will. And as such, I sometimes like to stalk my blog visitors. Because I have access to their visit paths, I can retrace their steps and figure out how they found me. But this morning, I thought I'd try a regular ol' Google search of my blog title. And heaven help me, guess what I found????

A while back, I wrote this *scintillating* write-up of a fantastic little documentary that I saw at last year's Nashville Film Festival. The movie is called The Urim and Thummim. It's a great movie-- it really is.

So, today, I happened to find a link to this film's actual homepage when I was searching for myself. And check this out! I'm frickin' quoted on the Welcome page. And again here, on the About Film page.

Now, this is a big deal to me for a couple of reasons: a) I really liked this movie a lot and am quite flattered that the folks behind it liked what I had to say enough to plug me in such a forum. b) I'm generally under the assumption that all my meanderings here in the land of brown rabbits amount to so much whistling in the dark. Friends read, sure. My mom reads, yep, absolutely. A few paranoid dudes who work upstairs from me read, for better or for worse. But I'm veritably awed to have not only been found, but excerpted on a film's official website.

And then there's the matter of being in good company. I'm quoted alongside Jim Ridley, my long-time hero in all things film-critical. He's the always-erudite font of filmic knowledge who writes a lot of the reviews for the Nashville Scene. If ever I want an opinion about a movie that I can trust, I go trolling through the Scene's online archives to find his reviews--even now when I don't live anywhere close to Nashville anymore.

And Harmony Korine? I know a lot of my readers aren't as nerdily obsessed with tracking film trends as I am, so let me just effuse for a moment and say that being in his quotable company certainly makes me feel like my little blog has brushed with the big time. In the mid- and late-90s, he became the Indie Film Wunderkind of the Moment when he wrote the screenplay for Kids. He was 19. He'd gone to the high school in the neighborhood in which I grew up in Nashville. He's since gone on the write and direct a number of films, including Gummo-- which is a fave of many poets I know. And he's recently released this new thing, Mr. Lonely, that has an admirable roster of indie acting talent as its cast, as well. His style follows a lineage of the Truffaut/Von Trier heritage that has devised the spare, no-frills Dogme 95 school of filmmaking. He really is an impressive name in the world of avant garde film... and little ol' me is quoted right up there beside him?

Can you believe it? The brown bunnies are gettin' FAMOUSSSK!

Now, if I were to quibble, I would say that I might prefer some actual linkage. But a quotation will certainly do, thank you. (Hey, I don't get much free publicity, folks. I'll take what I can get but I'm not above clamoring for more.)

I'm SUCH a goddamn badass.

UPDATE
: I should also mention that, in some equally self-indulgent Googlings, I've found my blog referenced on some more conservative fourth-wave feminist blogs. Apparently, I'm a debauched relic of generations past... me and all my third-wave sex-positivism -- and my desire to embrace even more debauched emblems of public femaleness (i.e., Lindsey, Paris and Britney). Well, I never expect to win 'em all. I do feel quite pleased, actually, that people are out there responding to me. Fomenting discussion-- even in a detached, sporadic, internet-y sort of way-- seems like a more : I should also mention that, in some equally self-indulgent Googlings, I've found my blog referenced on some more conservative fourth-wave feminist blogs. Apparently, I'm a debauched relic of generations past... me and all my third-wave sex-positivism -- and my desire to embrace even more debauched emblems of public femaleness (i.e., Lindsey, Paris and Britney). Well, I never expect to win 'em all. I do feel quite pleased, actually, that people are out there responding to me. Fomenting discussion-- even in a detached, sporadic, internet-y sort of way-- seems like a more noble endeavor than willy-nilly proseletysing and attempting to win people over to my indiosyncratic way of thinking anyway.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Congratulations again. Now you are not only Rich(er), but Famous(er) as well! And Happy to boot! And with the trustworthy dateline of April 2, I need not even ask about the veracity of this post. Thanks for vouching for yesterday's. -dana

jb said...

like I said, you could live the rest of your life and never find yourself in better company than jim ridley and harmony korine.

This is fucking cool.

And while I'm at it--Jim Ridley--people just dont' realize. He is great. Nashville is lucky to have him.

hope that we stumble upon some more great films at this year's festival--and i'm sure we will.

brownrabbit said...

Apparently, I'm quoted on the trailer you can find on YouTube, as well... but I got home late last night and forgot to look for it. YouTube is blocked on my work computer-- effin' IT fascists! But I gotta admit: yeah, it's fucking cool.