Thursday, April 24, 2008

cupcake test #1




Here are the results of my first recipe test. These are the White Chocolate Wasabi Cupcakes with Plum Sake Filling. The filling is DEE-lish! The icing, however, is tres sweet to my palate and you can't taste the wasabi in the cake-- not even a little bit. That's rather annoying as that stuff had my eyes watering profusely while I was mixing it into a paste. Still, the sesame seed garnish adds something unusual that I like quite a lot. And they're pretty, eh?

Baking is soul-soothing. Certainly, I needed this morning's kitchen activities to calm my nerves after last night. If I could give Damon Packard a cupcake, maybe he'd be a happier guy and less prone to spewing rancor far and wide. What do you think? Good idea?




UPDATE: When I tried these the first time, I made them with Valrhona white chocolate and I've decided I don't much like the flavor of that particular white chocolate. The second batch didn't come out as pretty because I don't have as good a set of frosting tips as my mom does, but I used El Rey white chocolate. El Rey has a nice, nuttier, more natural vanilla flavor and so they came out much tasting better. Plus, I added lemon juice to both the filling and the icing, hoping to take the edge off all that rich sweetness. That helps, too.

3 comments:

Jen said...

wow, those do look lovely! bet they taste yummy, too!

brownrabbit said...

The tartness of the plum filling makes them quite lovely-- otherwise, I'd say they're way, way too sweet. Oh, hey... I need to call you...

Stay tuned!

brownrabbit said...

ha! I'm working on it! I am actually a little homesick.