Sunday, June 15, 2008

summer seven

There's another meme running its viral little course through assorted blogs that I read regularly. I didn't actually get tagged, but, like your bratty kid sister, I wanna play too. So, I'm tagging myself... and posting the instructions, just in case any of my blogger friends should also desire to tag themselves. But don't feel obligated, mes amis!

Here's the low-down:

List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your summer. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they’re listening to.
And now, Marjorie's Summer Seven:

1) The Black Keys, "Just Couldn't Tie Me Down"-- The whole album of Rubber Factory had been in very regular rotation in my car CD player for about a year. It's the perfect languorous summer loll of Dirty South blues-- even though the band's actually from Ohio. I always thought this song would make an excellent ironic, irreverent recessional at a hot August wedding. (Yeah. Don't tell me it surprised you that I'm not a fan of traditional ANYTHING at weddings.)

2) The Honorary Title, "Stay Away" -- I've just started listening to Scream & Light Up the Sky. Mostly, it's just a pleasant indie pop album in the vein of Guster and Wheat and maybe, Dexter Freebish. But I like the sort of melancholy chorus of this song.

3) Sigur Ros, "Gobbledigook"-- You guys all watched the video to which I sent you in this post, right? If not, get thee there. NOW. And get to know this band-- their new album release is immanent.

4) Paula Cole, "Feelin' Love" -- Paula Cole, I know, I know. You don't have to say it. For years after I made out with James Van Der Forehead that one time in college (Yep, I kissed Dawson himself. Oops. Had I not mentioned that here before? *sheepish*), every friend I ever had insisted upon singing the "doo doo doo doos" from "I Don't Want to Wait" to me every time they saw me. Thanks guys. I know it just means you care. But this song has sultry, nasty lyrics and a stripclub backbeat. Made for primetime TV, it's not.

5) The Raveonettes, "With My Eyes Closed" -- This summer, the Lust, Lust, Lust album is never too far out of reach. "Aly, Walk With Me" reminds me of Twin Peaks theme and the rest of it sounds like an early '60s girl group got in bed with, like, The Strokes or something. This song in particular, though, has the lazy tone of swoony Hawaiian surf anthems. What could be more apt for the clime? (A close runner-up for this list is "You Want the Candy"-- also from this album.)

6) Ryan Adams, "Come Pick Me Up"-- I found this song in a mix CD a guy I dated a couple years ago made for me-- one to which I'd never really taken the time to listen-- probably because of lingering feelings of ick as it was a very short-lived affair, to be sure. But now that I rediscovered it, I love this song. To me, it sounds like driving a rusted out jalopy down the dusty backroads with all the windows down and your hair enmucked into your sticky lip gloss. Here's the refrain:
I wish you would
I wish you would
Come pick me up
Take me out
Fuck me up
Steal my records
Screw all my friends
They're all full of shit
With a smile on your face
And then do it again
I wish you would
Damn, that's so sexily fatalistic. *swoon*

7) Vampire Weekend, "Walcott" -- OK, OK, Vampire Weekend gets plenty of flack for being pretty little white boys from the Upper West Side who like to ape assorted ethnic (African, Cuban...) beats to make snappy little pop songs. But, hey, newsflash, folks! What would this last 50+ years of American musical innovation be without white people appropriating ethnic cultural markers? It's what we do. At least these guys own it. And they do it with such sharp, class-conscious irony in their lyrics. To wit:
Walcott
The Bottleneck
Is a shit-show
Hyannisport
Is a ghetto
Out of Cape Cod tonight
Rhyming "shit-show" with "ghetto"? So good. And bonus points for working such an unpoetic word as "Hyannisport" into a song.

Happy summer listening. Just don't let cute boys bust you car-dancing at stoplights-- it's so embarrassing.

18 comments:

Mister Jimmy said...

This is my Menimalist response. Just the facts. In constant play for a couple of months now and in no particular order:

*Beautiful Wreck - Shawn Mullins
*The One I Love - David Gray
*Breathe - Anna Nalick
*You Don't Seem To Miss Me - Patty Loveless w/George Jones
*I'll Take You There - Staple Singers
*Here's A Quarter - Travis Tritt
*Have You Ever Loved A Woman - Derek & the Dominos

brownrabbit said...

So, Jim... I hear thru the grapevine that you've been gossipin' 'bout me at work. I have ears everywhere, you see.

Say sweet things, ok?

(My ego loves it, by the way, that I'm still a subject of discussion at a job I left 2 YEARS AGO! Please keep it up!)

Mister Jimmy said...

It ain't gossip if it's true.
I don't know any "sweet" things but I have a good imagination.

brownrabbit said...

Yeah, well...

I hear tell that EVERYONE's good imaginations would have them believe that I fucked my way through the ranks at that place...

And it's just not true.

Let the record state that I only slept with three people I met at said place of business... and, at the time, I outranked them all.

So there.

And no. Jen wasn't one of them. Though I DO love her so.

Jen said...

Oh dear, you two do make me laugh! Although there was the rumor that we were lovers...

brownrabbit said...

Yeah, we prolly should have just let the rumor stand. Maybe that way, a certain person with the initials "T" and "B" might not have decided I was so prime for stalking.

*shudder*

Mister Jimmy said...

Now now, I don't do that kind of gossip.
And I still don't know any sweet things.

brownrabbit said...

C'mon now! I'm a nice girl. Surely there must be something sweet you could say about me.

I'm not so devilish as all that.

Am I?

Mister Jimmy said...

...might not have decided I was so prime for stalking.
Oh, so you think you're too good for stalking or not good enough? C'mon, have a little confidence. There are plenty of guys that could enjoy a good stalk. You just have to wear the right shoes, and - while I don't know much about you - I know you do have the shoes. May I suggest an open-toe sandal with ankle strap and at least a 4-5 inch heel. There's a good girl . . .
now get with it missy!

Mister Jimmy said...

PS - it might help to hear the Bob Seger tune, "Come to Poppa" in your head.

brownrabbit said...

Um, yeah, Bob Seger ain't never on my mental soundtrack.

But, sure, yeah. Stalkers? Bring 'em on.

Wait, no, don't. I might be tempted to use one of those stiletto heals weapon-wise.

Jen said...

could I interest you in an elderly Asian stalker? Only slightly used? I'm quite tired of my neighborhood stalker-- and frankly, I think the sight of Charlie has scared him off.

brownrabbit said...

What a generous offer. I shall have to deline, though.

That guy is STILL bugging you?

Jen said...

he came this way a week or two ago, but was, according to Charlie, disappointed to find a tall, lanky Englishman-- and promptly scuttled away.

jb said...

i have been meaning to ask if you liked the raveonettes cd that you burnt. i'll take this post as a yes.

i haven't gotten into the black keys, but i like what i've heard and they are undeniably cool.

i never can completely decide if i like ryan adams or not. i mean i know i like some of his music, but having listned to his latest album in its entirety--i just don't know. maybe it's the stories of the multiple and legendary fits he's thrown on stage. [hey ryan, play summer of 69']

i may tag myself and post on some songs. maybe.

btw you didn't outrank me at the time. (^)

brownrabbit said...

Yeah, I don't think I like all that much of Ryan Adams' stuff either-- but I do really like that song. A lot.

Did you just call me a cunt? Or am I supposed to interpret that symbol as you being particularly worshipful of mine?

jb said...

no, at least i didn't mean to. i guess it was supposed to be an inside joke.

brownrabbit said...

It's ok. I don't mind.